Mountain Project Map - Harpers Ferry

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chestnut Hill Trad 9.20.10


After several solo trips exploring the more obscure crags above 340 between Loudon Hts & Chestnut Hill Rd, I finally recruited a partner. As he hadn't climbed this side of the river previously, we visited the most easily accessed spot, so that I'd have time to introduce him to the main cliffs afterward. The Chestnut Hill Rd Cliffs are *just* off the road as it heads up from 340; parking is permitted along 340 just East of this juncture, where the shoulder widens- just be sure to park at least 10' from the road as the sign states.

The ~60' wall has a bolted line with a bouldery start & steep finish, with moderate climbing in between & good stances for clipping...
... so naturally, I headed straight for this flaring, crescent-shaped offwidth!
This initial section protects well with large (#4,5,6) cams.

Once the crack ended, I followed the lichen-encrusted arete & fern-filled cracks, finishing on clean rock to the top; the angle in the rope below is due to the location of the belay, which I set from the bolted anchors.













View from the top: St Peters & Jefferson Rock.

2 comments:

Conrad said...

Man Carl, I hadn't been to the top of that route. I didn't know that it was steep up there. It looks good. Man, so happy you posted that, there isn't much I haven't seen there. Hope you get the time to post more. Great post.

Carl said...

I should've qualified steep; it's only steep compared to the rest of the wall, probably closer to vertical. Denny & I top-roped the bolted route after my lead (which was a bit awkward, but not hard); sad shape that we're in, we both bypassed the bouldery start & escaped left at the last bolt...